Re: Misconceptions about Glenn Gould

From: Anne M. Marble <amarble@sff.net>
Subject: Misconceptions about Glenn Gould

> Are you annoyed by people who think of him primarily as a
> Bach interpreter but ignore important (and wonderful) work
> such as the Brahms?

I love Bach's music.  I do think that being called a Bach interpreter is a
compliment, but Glenn Gould was good at so many things.  I won't list them
all.
I have most of his recordings of 20th century music.  These are absolutely
wonderful.  We have discussed the Arnold Schoenberg recording on this list.
I love it.  I can't recall that we have discussed "The Young Glenn Gould".
One of these LPs has the works of Berg, Shostakovich and Prokofiev.  The
recording technology is poor but the playing is awesome.
I recently bought the CD "Glenn Gould Plays Contemporary Music".  I have not
studied it all.  His playing of Oskar Morawetz's "Fantasy in D minor" is
incredible.  GG had a natural ability for this kind of music.
I know that GG did not include much music of the composers of the later part
of the 20th century in his repertoire.  If he had lived longer he might
have.  We have a number of composers writing marvellous music that is not
taken very seriously outside of the teaching community.  If GG had lived he
might have changed this.

Anne Smith