Gould and Argerich

HI List,

This morning I've been listening to Martha Argerich's DG Bach disc that
contains the Toccata in c minor, the second partita, and the second English
suite, and I find it even better than the last time I played it, which was a
few months ago.  The disc is short, only 50 minutes, but I think it's priced
at around eight to ten dollars.  You might want to track it down.  Liner
notes mention our hero.

"Martha Argerich  is a Bachian stylist to the manner born--and a stranger to
fashion.  In its impeccable textural clarity, its almost total avoidance of
the sustaining pedal, in its irresistible rhythmic drive and infectiously
buoyant phrasing, her Bach playing has more in common with Glenn Gould...At
the same time, it has a simplicity reminiscent of Richter or Horszowski at
their most profound.  Rubato is kept to a minimum, and though the dynamic
range is wide, specific coloring is generally abjured in favor of a lean
layered texture which illuminates Bach matchless polyphony while never
making a point of it...Like Gould she is capable of the most ravishing
sonorities, but again like Gould, she will often choose not to deploy them."

And also like Gould, her sound can be a bit hard, percussive,  less
"beautiful and legato" than some other players.

You know how often listening to Gould you get the feeling that there's a
real fire burning inside Gould, a fire that he's only allowing you to feel
part of?  This Argerich disc has some heat in it as well.

Jim