Re: Peter Ostwald's book.

Hi Sara,

Welcome to the list.

I have some of the same feelings as Anne M., Kate and Josh on this book.  It
is most certainly worth reading, but not nearly as good as it first appears
to be.
I prefer Geoffrey Payzant's book "Glenn Gould Music &Mind". Kate wondered
who could capture the essence of Glenn Gould.  She is most likely correct in
assuming that nobody really does.  I think I have read all the major
biographies of Glenn Gould.  In my opinion, Mr. Payzant did the best job.

Anne Marble wrote:
>The other guy decided to
> try the local delicacy -- fried brains. Ostwald made it
> seem odd that GG quickly left the dinner table after this
> meal was brought out. First, I know a lot of people who
> would react the same.

I would be one of these people.

> Also, Ostwald is quite dismissive of many of GG's later
> non-musical efforts, such as his radio documentaries.
> Instead of recognizing that these were very important to GG,
> Ostwald's attitude seems to be, "Oh, why didn't he put all
> that time into playing the piano?"
>
> Uhm, because he didn't wanna? ;->

Also, after all those years of playing the piano, was he not entitled to try
something different?

Anne Smith