Re: GG: Miscellany related and unrelated

At 11:57 AM 1/30/01 -0500, Baldwin, Daniel wrote:
The Chopin [sonata 3] is
particularly interesting: GG plays it with a constant pulse; he uses very
little rubato, and refuses to change tempo at the obvious places for
"effect." So, the perf is certainly not Romantic or idiomatic -- but for all
that, it is still beautiful in spots, and (as KB points out), the approach
works well in the propulsive 3rd mvt.

Yep, quite an odd performance!

Other than that -- I went on a Handel jag (oratorios), and now I'm on an
Elgar jag (symphonies and "The Dream of Gerontius")....great music, none of
which was previously familiar to me.

Absolutely. What do you think of the reconstructed Elgar 3rd symphony?

My GG activity this week has been listening to the Schoenberg piano pieces
Op 19, and then programming my cell phone so it rings the first line from
piece #4.  The phone doesn't play it with the sensitivity of Glenn Gould,
but hey.

(Not kidding! - search on "Bradley Lehman" at
http://www.mobilesmarts.com/cgi-bin/pub/pub_display2.cgi - can be
downloaded into a Nokia from there, free...North America only, I think.)

It can also play the postman's fugue from an early Bach piece, the
capriccio on the departure of his brother...I figured that was appropriate
for an incoming call.  Wish GG had recorded that piece; it would have been
interesting to hear what he made of it.

Bradley Lehman, Dayton VA
home: http://i.am/bpl or  http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl
clavichord CD's: http://listen.to/bpl or http://www.mp3.com/bpl
trumpet and organ: http://www.mp3.com/hlduo

"Music must cause fire to flare up from the spirit - and not only sparks
from the clavier...." - Alfred Cortot