Re: GG Studio recordings by heart?

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Jost Ammon wrote:

 |Now I can think of perfect pitch providing patterns of relationships for
 |easy orientation, but I have no clue how this leads to multitasking, but the
 |fact seems safe.

Human multitasking is, I think, a very common phenomenon among modern
people, especially those who have daily interactions with computer
terminals (or with people, for that matter)---one's mind tends to
wander when one has to wait for a job to be completed, or for ideas to
surface when doing creative work.  Although I'm only speaking from
experience, I'd bet most f-minoreans multitask.

Perfect pitch is something I've been thinking about, on-and-off, for
some time.  I don't have it---at least not knowingly.  But then I'm
tempted to think that everyone latently has it, that it's a potential
waiting to be realized.  Take for example native speakers of tonal
languages (myself being one, of Cantonese).  They normally speak using
more or less the same pitches---perhaps higher pitched when agitated,
and each in his/her only "key".  (Even people with "perfect pitch"
could err by one or two semitones, so I heard.)  So can we say, for
example, that all Cantonese speakers have "perfect pitch", if only
subconsciously?

And to extend this beyond tonal languages: English speakers, not being
constrained by a tonal "framework", use pitch much more freely for
emphasis and for inflection.  But they do stick to their personal
"keys": one for normal conversation, another when excited, and still
another when moody.  Or do they?

Regards,
Clifford