Re: GG Studio recordings by heart?

On Sun, 7 Jan 2001, Anne Smith wrote:

 |perfectly.
 |Every thing that I have read indicates that he almost always played for
 |memory.

One documented exception is his concert performance of the Brahms concerto
with the NYPO under Bernstein, recently released by Sony.  The CD booklet
contains a reminiscence by an (ex-)NYPO member---I don't have the CD with
me (borrowed it from the library).  The NYPO member recalled that GG used
a (possibly miniature) full orchestral score, photocopied(?) and taped 4
pages to a sheet for easier pageturning.  Anyone could verify or comment
on that?

It struck me as rather unusual too, as I do believe GG would have no
problem memorizing the piano part on his way to the concert ;-)

Cliff