GG: Solitude

Speaking of Silence (ha ha, just kidding <g>), I was
thinking about GG and his need for solitude.

I agree with GG that human beings need solitude. Some need
less than others, while others thrive under those
conditions. (I think we all need it after being in the
middle of the crowded store surrounding by noisy people who
don't know how to steer carts!)

Because GG talked about solitude and obviously love solitude
so much, some have painted him as a hermit, loner, etc.,
etc. He liked that image and encouraged it. But how much of
that image is true? He didn't always seek solitude. And
when he did, I'm sure he kept his telephone handy. ;->

I'm a published (finally!) writer, (1) so I understand the
need for solitude. On the other hand, I can write in the
middle of a room of noisy relatives. I know a published
novelist who uses her Visor to write in the middle of a
dentist's office. So sometimes we can find solitude in the
middle of a crowded room. Do you think Glenn Gould had the
ability to do that? Or do you think he lacked that ability
because he was too "in tune" with his surroundings, so he
couldn't block things out?

Do creative people need more solitude than others? Or does
it depend more on temperament than anything else?

(1) Check out the Writer's Yearbook 2001. Pages 62-63. ;->