Re: GG: Favorite Biography or Nonfiction about GG?

Anne Marble asked:

> Which is your favorite biography or nonfiction about GG?

My favourite biography of GG is "Glenn Gould Music & Mind" by Geoffrey
Payzant.
In the Preface Mr. Payzant says that this is not a like other books about
pianists.  He acknowledges the fact that GG is much more than a pianist.
"Perhaps the author of the second book on Glenn Gould will attempt a
"conventional" biography.  He will fail.  Gould has protected his private
life from public scrutiny ..... "
"Music & Mind"  provides the basic biographical details in a tasteful
manner.  GG's career is outlined and his theories are explained.  Many of
the more famous photographs are included.
This book was given to me as a gift shortly after it was published.  GG was
still alive then.  While I was reading it we had a family trip to Toronto.
I visited some of the places mentioned in the book.  At that time I was
young enough to foster the ridiculous hope that I might actually run into
GG.
I have bought a couple of other books about GG and borrowed others from the
library.  I always come back to "Music & Mind".  It is like an old friend.

Anne