                From:   Baldwin, Daniel [mailto:baldwin@BAERMARKS.COM]
                Sent:   Thursday, December 28, 2000 10:57 AM
                To:     F_MINOR@EMAIL.RUTGERS.EDU
                Subject:        Re: Beethoven's Fourth Concerto?

                GG recorded all five of the concertos, which area available
as a set from
                SONY, but not separately. The set is definitely worth
having. There are also
                one or two live recordings of #2, I believe from the early
'50s.

                The 4th is one of my favorite GG recordings. It's with the
NY Phil conducted
                by Bersntein, and is from around '61(?). The 5th is a
fantastic
                interpretation with Stokowski conducting the American Symph
Orch. If you
                have the 5th separately, it must be the CBC perf conducted
by Karel Ancerl,
                which is good, but not at the level of the perf with Stok,
which is truly
                inspired -- you can feel the electricity. GG admired Stok,
and the rapport
                betw soloist and orch is almost palpable.

                GG recorded op 109, 110 and 111 in '59. Again, these are
available only in a
                three disc SONY set (vol. 2 of a 2 vol. set of all of GG's
Beethoven sonata
                recordings, plus Bagatelles and Eroica variations). I
haven't heard his perf
                of the three last sonatas, but I believe that the critical
reception was
                poor -- apparently, they are very eccentric interpretations
(no surprise
                there)!

                Hope this helps --

                Daniel