(theme from Twilight Zone, or, for you young whippersnappers, theme from X-Files)

In the same cautionary spirit that one recommends a new overpowered motorcycle or skydiving club, I bring to your attention the archive of Silence, the List of John Cage fans:

http://newalbion.com/artists/cagej/silence/

The Silence archive might offer some of us the opportunity to see what the heck's going on over there, without actually having to speak to or touch any of those people.

It seems to me these recent threads have not only interested a lot of us, but illuminate John Cage as a sort of "Bizarro Glenn Gould," in some odd way GG's distorted image seen Through a Glass Darkly -- the Antiglenn.

For the New Year (thanks to Jim M.), I offer this koan:

What is the sound of Glenn Gould humming as he plays Cage's 4' 33"?

And would that old F_Minorite anti-Hummist demand the recording be re-mixed and re-released without the hum?

Bob

P.S. We and a few pals had a lovely at-home New Year's Eve. We splurged on goodies, and discovered that our cats think paté is Very Tasty.

But it's just not the same since Guy Lombardo died and His Royal Canadians broke up. The scantily-clad young women on MTV and Fox aren't the same. Bob says No Thanks to A Marilyn Manson and Gangsta Rap New Year's Eve. (But he peeked anyway.)