Re: Cage in GG's letters

Hi Bard,  Thanks for the info on Gould's interview with Cage.  I had no
idea.  The Selected Letters is one of those Gould books that I don't have.

> The score of 4'33" all fits onto one page; in my files I have a photocopy
> of it from the Peters edition.  The introductory notes are on a separate
> page, but the score itself is a facsimile of a typewritten page, perhaps
> typed by Cage himself.

Take a look at Larry Solomon's paper on 4'33'' at

 http://www.azstarnet.com/~solo/4min33se.htm

and you'll see repeated references to 4'33'' being more than one page long.

Such as

" Where Cage used the width as graphical representations of time lengths (1
page=7 inches=56 seconds), in the painting the temporal dimension is absent
and irrelevant. "

Jim here, in one page equals almost one minute, than 4'33'' should be at
least five pages long.  Solomon is making a comparrision between the score
to 4'33'' and Raushenberg's all white paintings.

and

"This suggests that both Tudor and Cage felt that a score is essential to
the performance of 4'33" (including page turning), that it is, in part, a
theater piece. The act of the performer reading a score serves to alert and
sensitize the performer and audience to the fact that something is
happening."

and finally

"A score should be used, preferably the Kremen Edition, with page turns (but
not a separate page-turner)."

You'll also see in Solomon's essay that more than one sort of score exists
for 4'33''.  Maybe that's causing the confusion here.

Thanks for the links, I'll go listen to the NPR show right now.

Jim

PS:  this is from the Cage list.  It turns out there was a least the idea
batted about over there for recording an album of only 4'33''s.  Man, when
am I ever going to come up with an original idea?

Subject: Larry Solomon's 4'33" project (Document link not converted)

> This post (below) brought to mind Larry Solomon's fairly recent post,
> concerning recording 4'33" in various places that had (if I recall)
> some connection and importance to Cage. Larry, any new thoughts or
> developments on this project?
> ----------
> A few months ago I came up with the cooky idea of putting together a
> compilation of covers of Cage's silenttrack 4'33". The Amsterdam based
> recordlabel Staalplaat is interested in releasing this as a cd
> eventually. Now I'm collecting pieces for the line up. But besides that
> I'm also looking for information about 4'33". Anyone ki of background
> information on the topic of 4'33" is welcome and can be sent to

and a response from Professor Solomon

Basically, what I had in mind was a full length CD of several versions
of 4'33", each on a separate band of 4'33" in length, and each recorded
in a different environment that is connected in some way with Cage. So
far, some possibilities are:

. Cage's East Side apartment, environmental sounds, where Cage wrote
4'33"
. Black Mountain College environs
. Ryoanji garden, Kyoto
. Mills College
. Woodstock, NY, at the site of the first performance of 4'33"
. Mushroom hunting grounds on Long Island, frequented by Cage
. Himalayas
. Wesleyan University
. Antarctica
. Cage's 6th Street apartment environ whose sounds Cage loved so much
. Arizona desert
. Brazilian rain forest
. A Zen temple
. Anechoic chamber
. Your own environment (no recorded sounds)
. Santa Monica Beach
. Long Island beach
. Columbia University, McMillin Theater
. Pomona College

Jim here, I have no idea if the recording was ever made.