Gould plays Brahms ala Glass

Hi List,

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and that loved ones filled your
stockings full of Gould cds.
I know someone was very lucky out there.

I was searching through the archives today and it turns about that around
three years ago
Mary Jo sent us this  link

http://www.gould.nlc-bnc.ca/ra/real.htm

which connects us to online recordings of Gould that the National Library
of Canada has made available.

Tape #1746, the very last one on the page, contains about three of four of
Gould's
improvisations of Brahms ala other composers.  About 2 minutes into the tape
Gould at the request of a man in the booth, plays a brief passage as if
Glass had
written the Brahms piece.  Gould's having a lot of fun on this tape and you
can
hear him joking with the people in the booth.

Give it a listen.

By the way, I'm something of a Philip Glass fan.
As is Tim Page, the man who compiled the Glenn Gould Reader.
Go hear to read what he said about Glass.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/music/features/glass0823.htm

or better yet, go to
http://www.philipglass.com/
and browse through the recordings section to see what Page and others have
said about his music.

Jim (who's willing to talk more about the merits of Glass if any is
interested)