Re: GG:has the electronic future arrived?

While rereading our old messages on archive I came upon a particularly
thought-provoking one from Bradley (quoted below).

Regarding computer improvisation, I wonder if any of our fellow
f-minorians have heard of the music software "Band-In-A-Box".  One of its
capabilities is to "improvise" according to a preset sequence of chord
changes.  The user can enter an arbitrary chord sequence, and can even
choose the style (among dozens of them) of improvisation.  I was swept off
my feet when I heard it produce a stream of slick guitar licks a la Pat
Metheny!

And this software is pretty affordable at around 100USD.  I suspect
there's some "neural net" working behind the scenes, with each
improvisation "style" being a set of pre-trained net nodes.  But just on
the face of it, it's really amazing!  (Note: and I'm not talking about
state-of-the-art technologies either, as it's available over a year ago.)

Regards,
Clifford

On Fri, 25 Feb 2000 15:27:24 -0500, "Bradley Lehman" <bpl@umich.edu>
wrote:

 |(Yesterday's NYTimes article is now reproduced on
 |http://www.superconductor.com )
 |
 |About SuperConductor's "performance" I wrote yesterday:
 |
 |>Mozart's Piano Concerto K453, 3rd Movement.  Also not too bad, though again
 |>the large paragraphs don't breathe.  I miss playfulness and whimsy.  But
 |the
 |>biggest oversight is a fundamental element of musical grammar.  The program
 |>clobbers the resolution note of every appoggiatura (and this movement has
 |>hundreds of them at the ends of phrases) rather than resolving quietly.
 |>This error is as musically serious and obtrusive as using the word "the" at
 |>the end of a sentence, or putTING acCENTS on the wrong syllaBLE.  You'd
 |>think that given all the trouble they've gone to in this program,
 |especially
 |>with regard to dynamics, they'd teach it how to recognize this.
 |

 |Thinking some more about this and listening to a good performance of the
 |Mozart concerto K453 (a live recording with Robert Levin at the piano),
 |another severely lacking element occurred to me.  It can be described very
 |simply: SuperConductor doesn't improvise.
 |
 |Even in the most severely detailed and thoroughly notated classical pieces,
 |in which one is "not supposed to" improvise any new notes, there is still an
 |element of improvisation at play all the time.  Every performance is
 |different as the performer reacts to the instrument, the room, any listeners
 |present, her personal feelings at the moment, and what she had for lunch.
 |Tempos, accents, phrasing, articulation, and many other elements are subject
 |to change according to the needs of the moment.  (If the listeners aren't
 |paying attention, make subtle changes to coax their attention back....)
 |
 |This principle should be familiar to anyone who has ever had a music lesson.
 |The teacher or coach suggests, "Try it again and pay attention to X," or
 |"Give it more Z."  The student mentally focuses on X, or adjusts the Z