Small Query re a quote

Good evening, F-Minor (well actually its the middle of the night here)

Recently I came across the following Gould quote:-

"Perhaps what I see is still so controlled by my memory that it's nothing
more than a mirage..."

This interests me, as it seems rather Buddhist in its feeling. It suggests
an awareness that the "reality" that we perceive around us is, in fact, an
artifact formed by our own minds, our choices, and  the various conditions
that  influence our whole lives. In effect we each choose and create  the
world we live in, and this may or may not reflect the ultimate reality we
are part of.

But....I might be totally wrong. Although GG was evidently interested in
Buddhism (at least towards the end of his life) I do not know why he said
this, or indeed what it was he actually meant.

Can anyone enlighten me as to when and where he said this, and what was the
context?

Best wishes

Kate