Re: Pastorale Symphony

On Friday, November 17, 2000 at 4:43 PM, "Elmer Elevator" wrote

> Does anyone remember this episode of The Simpsons? (Does anyone else here
> own a television?)

> All the children of Springfield are so bored and disgusted that one by
one,
> they turn off the TV and wander outside ... it is a beautiful spring day
> ... they breathe in the wonderful fresh air ... they look at the clouds
and
> the birds and the blue sky ... they push each other on backyard swings ...
> ... and the Pastorale begins to play in the background. Such a perfect,
> moving piece of music, such a lovely, thoughtful moment.

When that episode originally aired, a friend was so moved by that scene and
Beethoven's music (he had no idea of the source of the music, just that it
was *good*) that I was obliged to give him a birthday gift of... the 6th
symphony! (Not Gould's version). Hmm, I doubt he's since listened to it, but
each time they air that episode I dig mine out and enjoy the babbling brooks
which surround me!

Dominic Lesnar