Re: Salzburg recital at amazon uk

Hi List,

I should have mentioned previously that at today's relatively low exchange
rate,
12 British Pounds is equal to around $17.50, which isn't a bad price for
any single high quality CD when you add in things like shipping and taxes.
But when you consider that it's perhaps *the* Gould disc, well, then it
become cheap.

(An import site offered me 30 dollars for the CD, so you can see the savings
are real when you buy direct.)

Be sure while you're at the UK amazon to see if any other items are in print
there that aren't in North America.  I found something else I'd been looking
for
over here.

By the way, the Mozart sonata K330, ala the Sweelinck, is also much slower
than the version others may have heard from the complete Mozart sonatas set.
(That is to say, it's not hyperactive and a more mainstream, and to my
tastes,
more enjoyable, performance.)

The andante cantible from the 58 studio recording, however, comes in even
slower than
the Salzburg performance: 6'55 to 5'57.  I prefer the Salzburg tempo, which
also has more,
to my ears, of a cantible sound.  As a matter of fact, the whole disc has an
unusually warm tone to it,
I think.  I actually haven't been listening to much Gould lately, instead
giving my CD time over
to the Golden Age pianists.  Anybody else think this disc as a warmer, less
compressed/narrow
tone than many other Gould discs?  perhaps this is related to the mono live
recording sound.

Bye

Jim