Re: Salzburg recital at amazon uk

Hi List,

One more thing about the Salzburg Disc.
There are a few of us Gould fans that think this is the desert island
Gould disc.

Actually the choice isn't too hard to make, since surely any such
choice would have to include one of the three best recorded, and, I
MHO, performed, Goldbergs:  the 55, the live 59, or the 81 set.
Since this live Salzburg disc contains much more music than you'll
get with the other sets, I suspect many of us will see how clear the
imaginary decision is.

Not to mention the Sweelnick Fantasia is Gould at his hypnotic best, the
Mozart
(played in Salzburg no less) is a non-sarcastic, certainly moving
performance,
and the Schoenberg Suite is one of Gould's favorite pieces to perform.
The Salzburg Schoenberg struck me as particularly dramatic.  I'll have
to compare this with the other recordings I have and see how it measures up.

Pick any piece, and each is well worth having.
But consider that all were performed on one night,
(to a very less than full house the liner notes say)
all available on a single disc,
and the mind just about starts to swim.

Please, do yourself a favor and track down this valuable
document of incredible live music making.
This disc shoots straight for your soul.

Jim