Richter/Rifkin Cantatas

Oh boy, did I ever just have a funny experience that I must share with you
people.

Those of you familiar with the famous recordings of the Bach cantatas should
get a kick out of this.

I've only been listening to Bach's cantatas seriously for the last two
weeks, and my first exposure to Rifkin's Bach was immediately followed by my
first exposure to Ricther's recordings of the late 50's.

Talk about two recordings coming from different worlds.  It's a bit like
going from Gould to Landowska.

Rifkin tries to limit the size of his ensemble to one instrument per part,
including, most controversially, to one singer per part in the choruses.
This gives the group a "dry and lean" sound related, in my mind, to Gould's
unpedaled Bach.  Tempos are brisk, lively.

Richter on the other hand, has a BIG sound (even some overuse of the
new-fangled stereo sound that places soloists firmly on one side of the
speakers and the strings on the other) and slow tempos.

I was very impressed with Rifkin's performance of cantata 78 in which there
must be one of Bach's most playful movement's, a soprano and alto duet.
Bach at his feel-good, florid best.

Being weaned on Gould-Bach, I can tell it's going to take me some time to
come to terms with Ricther's Bach.
But I can with confidence and without hesitation recommend Rifkin to the
group.

I hear Jeffery Thomas and the American Bach Soloists take a similar approach
to Bach as Rifkin.  I ordered some of their CDs tonight.

Now go out and get some cantatas.  They're great.

Herreweghe, as some people on the list said, does a excellent job in his
cantatas as well.  Thanks.

Jim