Re: GG - more harpsichord

At 07:47 AM 7/19/2000 -0700, Jim Morrison wrote:
And by the way, let me take another oppurtuinty to say I hope you collect
all your thoughts and research on the Gould/Handel recording in a single
document.  That would be great Gould essay.

Or maybe just link to that series in the f_minor archives, keeping it in the discussion context with other people's comments....

> Parmentier,

I have the Partitas (Great, my favorite of the few harpsichord recording I
have)

Don't miss the Toccatas (stunning!) or the non-Bach.... http://www.musicaloffering.com/wlbrhome.html

His "English Virginal Music" disc (9102) is also especially wonderful.
http://www.musicaloffering.com/revues3.htm#quene1
It complements the GG Byrd/Gibbons album well without duplication.

>Baiano,

Don't know him.

Enrico Baiano. He plays in a loose improvisatory style that is pretty much the opposite of Gould's intellectual approach (to anything)...very sensuous.

There are so many ways to play music convincingly!  It's instructive to
compare them, to develop a range of appreciation.  If one listens
repeatedly to someone with such a strong musical personality as GG, it's
easy to get into a perspective that his approaches are *the* way to play
things....  He brings out some aspects that other people don't, but the
converse is also true.

>Robert Hill,

Don't know him either, but thanks.

Art of Fugue (Hanssler Bach series #134) and much more, plus his brother Keith builds some of the best harpsichords in the world.

That Art of Fugue set is a good demonstration of an excellent
harpsichordist being able to present an entire program on a single
registration (one 8' set of strings) with a full range of expression.

Bradley Lehman Dayton VA http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl