Re: Art of the Fugue Vid

> Bach's "Sonata (Concerto?) after Albinoni"  (recorded betw. '79-81?)on the
> so-called "Italian" album; the slow movement, in particular, has an air of
> resigned wisdom.  It is performances like these that make me mourn his
> premature death all the more, and to speculate about what "might have
been"
> had he been able to make more recordings in this later mode.

I agree, Daniel.  I liked the performances that you mentioned.  I think we
share similar tastes in Gould.  I love that Italian Album.

I think the piece you're referring to is on the first three tracks: the
concerto
in d minor after Alessandro Marcello, BWV 974, recorded June 11, 1979.
A more "romantic" baroque movement than we're used to hearing from Gould.
Autumnal as the saying goes.

The Albinoni came to your mind, I think, because there are two fugues based
on him on this CD as well.

And how about those Italian Variations?  I think they're gems are well.

I, by the way, am waiting on the Helmut Walcha
organ double cd that you mentioned, which cost me ten dollars, once again,
purchased from Tower's "used" department.  They had Leonhardt's Scarlatti
for four dollars.  I've bought many of their used CDs and they look like
new.

I don't know if Rosen article on Bach and Handel is on the net, but there
use to
be a good article by him at the New York Review of Books site, a review of,
I beleive
Bach and the Patterns of Invention, though I could have the title wrong.

Great to heat that John and Bradley had such fun together.

I'd love to hear further reports about their recording.

And would it be possible for them to burn copies for some of us on the list?

I'd pay top dollar of course.

Jim