Re: salzburg recital

At 08:49 AM 7/10/2000 -0700, Jim Morrison wrote:
> The entire Salzberg recital is on a SONY GG Edition cd which is available
> only as an import. I see it frequently when I'm browsing the Bach bins at
> Tower, so can probably find it, or order it through Tower.

By the way, do any of you who have heard the CD think, like Bryce Morrison,
that it is one of THE gould cds to have?  What makes it so special?

If I had to choose only one Gould CD to own, it would be the Salzburg recital. (But I have the earlier issue of it on Memoria/Frequenz, not the Sony; I don't know how different they are in sound.) In this recital Gould's playing comes across to me with his most directly communicative and musical qualities. The way I hear it, he plays *the music* with extraordinary insight and control, instead of being concerned with making an individual GG statement. He goes where the music takes him, instead of manipulating the music to come along with him wherever he wants to go. He illuminates the music with well-balanced levels of clarity, not levels of idiosyncracy.

Bradley Lehman
Dayton VA
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl