Re: I got a question!

Hi Bob,

Well, sure! Please ask the piano tuner -- what was the first thing Gould would play when the tuner said he was finished tuning? Was it the Well-Tempered Klavier?

Bob Merkin

My tuner didn't know this. He was tuning for a recording rehersal and had to leave when he was done. Well- Tempered Klavier sounds like a good bet.

Mark tuned GG's piano after he fired Vern Endiquist ( I 'm not sure of the spelling). GG's tuners during this period didn't last long.

Anne

heh heh!

I'm sure GG knew what he wanted, but did he really know what a tuner was capable of, and what all the variables were? I've tuned pianos for 35 years and I've come across some artists that, with all their exposure to tunings and pianos and music history, don't readily realize that modern tuning is just a compromise at its absolute zenith, and personal preferences are not easily worked into that compromise. When you want one 'advantage', you automatically must forego another potential.

I play a little, and I have a devil of a time because I can't blame my tuner! (which happens to be me).

Jerry