GG: 'historical' performance

	I believe it's not important wether or not Bach, Beethoven or Haydn would
have approved Gould's playing; they're dead. Besides that I believe it's
the composer's job to create a piece and the performer's job to
're-recreate' it. It's quite clear that without a person performing his
work, the composer can't earn his bread. Therefore he has to allow the
performer to play the music his own way. In this way there's a kind of
evolution in a particular piece, which I think is very natural and healthy.
Only precondition is that the notes remain the same.

	Of course this doesn't imply that all interpretations are well. A composer
like Van Beethoven did write dynamic changes and legato bows etc. Often
they are essential to the music, in a way that they indicate musical
phrases.
'Rephrase' music, without changing the notes, would give a strange sound.
Compare it to a book in which you change the interpuntion.

	Gould didn't change the phrase-structure of bach's music. What he did was
changing the articulation and dynamics. Since Bach didn't write the
articulation or the dynamics with the notes, I believe that the performer
must feel free to 'compose' the articulation himself.

And now it's time for lunch.

---from Maarssen, Holland: T W

Again: are there any piano students among you, who play Bach's music
themselves?

Mailto: WaverijnConcerts@hetnet.nl
> Van: Roderick A. Carder-Russell <rodc@shore.net>
> Aan: f_minor@email.rutgers.edu
> Onderwerp: Re: GG: And Historical Performance
> Datum: dinsdag 6 oktober 1998 5:27
>
> On Mon, 5 Oct 1998, Robert C. Kunath wrote:
>
> > 	Finally, while I quite agree that today's HIP musicologists hate
Gould, I