Re: GG: A question for the musicologists

Pat Attiswil wrote:

>Because Otto Friedrich mentioned a piece by Steve Reich (which turned out
>to be >the brilliant "Come Out") in his GG biography and because I wanted
>to know why >GG had something against composers like John Cage (and today
>I know GG was more >or less right about Cage) I got myself a few records
>by contemporary composers >like Reich, Glass etc.

What do you mean with that remark about Cage? I'm a devoted Gouldian, but
also a passionate Cageian, among other things, and I'm a member of f-minor
as well as the brilliant and very interseting Cage-list called Silence.
What DO you mean with that remark?

>Somewhere along the path I picked up the term "microtonal".
>Could someone please explain to me what exactly this term means ?

There are a number of composers who work with microtonality, like Giacinto
Scelsi and Alois Haba, to mention but a few. The term indicates that the
muisc shifts not from just one note to another note in the octave, or from
one halfnote  to another halfnote, but that the notes are divided up in
mych smaller portions, so that the melody line, for example, can slip in
very small stages.

I'm sure some more initiated person can provide a fuller answer, but this
for starters!

Loco

All places are here!  All times are now!