Re: GG: Mozart Piano Sonatas

>Dear minors,
>
>My set of Mozart Piano Sonatas on the GG edition did not come with liner
>notes.  I wonder whether:  Someone has a copy, knows how I can get a
>copy or (twist your arm) could give me a summary and editorial comments
>of their contents.  I know Glenn didn't put these sonatas at the top of
>his list.  I am sure it would explain why he recorded them, what he
>thought of his recordings, etc.  BTW I do love these sonatas, though not
>until I listened to them more than a few times.  Thank you in advance.
>
>All the Best,
>Charlie

I hauled up my GG records and the jacket of Vol 5 of the complete Mozart
sonatas (M 33515) has no mention of Gould, just some background on the
pieces.  An interesting statement is relayed though, without a source, "It
is said that not one of Beethoven's sonatas was played before a concert
hall audience during his lifetime; the piano recital was yet to be
invented, by Liszt."  I didn't know that, if it's true.  I knew that very
few would have been performed in that manner but...

I also found Martin Galling playing (Turnabout, recorded 1963, TV-S 34655)
the complete piano music of Wagner Vol Two, thanks to your question!
Does anyone know what he played on Vol One?

Jerry