Re: GG: Sampling CD318

On Sat, 1 Aug 1998 LesThom263@aol.com wrote:

> I have seen CDs out of Rachmaninoff playing Rachmaninoff.  They used rolls
> that recorded how long and how hard Rachmaninoff was playing.  If we had rolls
> from Gould (I know that they don't exist), couldn't this be used to get the
> *multisampling* ?

These would only be useful if you had them for CD318, and since that
instrument was never equipped for piano roll operation...

The modern equivalent would be a Diskclavier file, which contains MIDI
note information corresponding to a certain performance by a certain
artist.  Again, that would only be useful if CD318 had a Diskclavier
interface on it, which it doesn't.

The idea of multisampling is that you would digitally record each note of
the instrument being struck in a variety of ways (loud, soft, short
duration, long duration, etc.) and then load this data into your digital
sampler with it's associated keyboard.  You could come up with a very good
representation of CD318's *sonic* attributes that way, but this would be a
substantial project.  This kind of sampling has been done extensively in
the development of many of the commercially-available samplers on the
market right now (Kurtzwiel, etc.).

jh