Re: GG: Sampling CD318

In a message dated 7/31/98 3:31:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time, 'jh'
jphill@frank.mtsu.edu writes:
<< Yeah, that's a pretty tall order.  Sampling technology is now quite
 advanced, but I think this would entail a good bit of work and at the end
 of all of it, you might just stand back and go "why"?

 You'd certainly have to do *multisampling* of each key, so that a range of
 dynamic effects could be obtained.  Part of the difficulty in sampling
 real acoustic instruments involves how you map *performance hooks*
 (timbral variations with velocity, etc.) with the sampling hardware and
 software you have at hand. >>

I have seen CDs out of Rachmaninoff playing Rachmaninoff.  They used rolls
that recorded how long and how hard Rachmaninoff was playing.  If we had rolls
from Gould (I know that they don't exist), couldn't this be used to get the
*multisampling* ?

Tom Bivins