Re: La Valse

>Can someone tell me where and when GG's superhuman (that's all I can
>call it) performance of the piano transcription of Ravel's La Valse on
>the Nuova Era label took place.  The liner notes say it was not
>"originally intended to be published on gramophone...."  I think the
>recording was from a CBC radio broadcast but I'm not sure.  Also do you
>know who wrote the transcription?
>For those not familiar with the disc, it contains (in horrid sound, but
>who cares?) The Strauss Burlesque with Golschmann and the Toronto
>Symphony, a piano transcription from Electra, some Schoenberg, Chopin!
>and Krenek. The dates listed are 1960/62/67.
>I've had the disc since was released in 1989 and have  wondered about it
>since.

The recording of Glenn Gould's own TRULY SUPERHUMAN transcription of
Ravel's "La Valse" comes from a CBC TV program broadcast in 1974; the video
is presently available both in VHS and Laserdisc in Sony's "Glenn Gould
Collection", vol X, where a short comment by GG on the piece can also be
found.

Best wishes

Marco