GG: Kind of Blue & PRO-LOGIC

On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, pzumst@bluewin.ch wrote:

> good question ! one of my "Kind of blue" cd's (the latest release in the
> right pitch, a brilliant record, as it has been said before btw) has a
> "360 degree sound" tag on it.Well, how come it sounds quite strange on
> me "pro logic" ?  Is it the artificial treatment that someone has
> mentioned ?

Which version is this?  Is it the gold Sony Master Sound edition or the
Columbia Legacy SBM version?

*Neither* of the above versions were encoded with Dolby Pro-Logic, so they
are not intended to be played back through the Pro-Logic decoder.  Yes,
it will sound *very* stange, because these are both regular stereo discs,
NOT matrixed for Pro-Logic decoding.

> Could it be (I only assume this) that our madness for a "perfect sound"
> is sometimes going a bit too far ?

Oh, probably.  For me, the absurdity kicks in when I hear about
audiophiles who claim they can hear the difference between short
interconnect cables that have different colored insulation!  Yeah, right.

On the other hand, it is the striving for better recording and
reproduction techniques that moves the whole discipline forward.
In the best sense, what we're trying to do is get closer to the musical
truth and create more of those "goose-bump" moments when a piece of music
moves the listener completely and effortlessly.  GG used the term "repose"
a good deal in this context.

jh