re: the restoration question....

> (1) What exactly do CEDAR and NoNOISE do?

The following is an excerpt of an article I wrote about restoring 7"
Berliner (the first flat discs made) for our upcoming web site "The Virtual
Gramophone".  The site with the complete article including audio examples
should be up in a few weeks.

[...]
4. Digital noise reduction
Three general classes of noise are found on sound recordings: clicks,
crackle and hiss. CEDAR (Computer Enhanced Digital Audio Restoration)
removes or reduces these imperfections with the De-Clicker DC1, the
De-Crackler CR1 and the De-Hisser DH2. These units are based on twin 40-bit
floating-point processors that process sound in real time (i.e. there is no
waiting while the units are calculating the results).
4.1 De-Clicking
The benefit of removing high frequency, high-energy transient noises, such
as clicks and pops, becomes immediately apparent. The DC1 removes both
clicks and any underlying music. It then re-creates the missing sound wave
by analyzing pre- and post-click samples and interpolating the results using
high order algorithms. The number of samples that the DC1 examines depends
on the length of the click. A short click requires fewer samples (10) than a
longer pop (60 to 200) to rebuild the sound wave. The De-Clicker can remove
up to 2500 clicks per second per channel in real time.
4.2 De-Crackling
Crackle is a burst of short, small spikes which is added to the original
sound by poor record surface quality, buzzing caused by improperly wired or
grounded equipment, or distortion caused by overloading amplifier mixer
outputs or digital clipping. These introduce a harshness to the sound.
Crackle is a more subtle and difficult form of noise to remove than a click.
The De-Crackler addresses this problem by dividing the input signal into
"genuine" signal and "crackle/distortion" signal, and working solely on the
signal with crackle. First, the operator determines the the level of
"crackle/distortion" present in the input signal, then adjusts the amount of
crackle that the CR1 is required to remove. Next, the Crackle Mode is set to
either Crackle 1 (sharp and well defined) or Crackle 2 ('grungy' and not so
well defined). Finally, the signal is recombined. The CR1 must be adjusted
by ear and, if not set correctly, can have a detrimental effect on the sound
quality .
4.3 De-Hissing
Hiss is quite obvious to a human listener but is far more difficult for a
machine to detect. Therefore, it is harder to remove than a sharp click or
crackle. The DH2 removes hiss by analyzing the tonal, transient and ambiance
content of the signal at hundreds of frequency bands and removing the
frequency bands in which it does not detect any musical signal. The operator
must first adjust the Noise Level parameter, giving the DH2 a rough idea of
the amount of noise present in any given signal. Next, the operator adjusts
the Attenuation, which sets a maximum limit on the amount of noise that the
DH2 will remove at any given frequency. Finally, the operator adjusts the
Brightness algorithm to preserve the appropriate amount of presence by
controlling the speed at which the DH2 will remove noise. The DH2 must also
be adjusted by ear and is the most difficult CEDAR box to adjust. If done
improperly, it can have a very negative result on the audio quality.
The net aural effect of removing noise from sound recordings can be
spectacular. Judicious use of digital noise reduction can effectively free
music from the shortcomings of its recording medium, uncovering details
which were once masked by noise.
Listen to a short excerpt* from a record that is played first without any
noise reduction, then processed using the CEDAR system.[...]

> (2) Why are they not perfect?
The final result of the restoration can be directly related to the state of
the original recording.  If you have a pristine copy which was never played,
then your work will be much easier then if you are dealing with a record
which was played to death.  In the case of the GG recordings for the CBC,
most were the only copies known to us (CBC and National Library of Canada's
Gould collection) recorded on acetate discs.  Unfortunately, these types of
discs do not age gracefully and to make matters worse, Gould's "storage"
system wasn't what I would call proper archival storage.  Unfortunately, we
were starting with records that were in physically very poor shape, which
means heavy processing.  A lot has to do with the operator (see (4)).

> (3) Are there better processes for restoring original sounds?

None that I know of.

> (4) What are the main problems facing someone trying to restore a sound?

Audio restoration is ultimately done by ear, the operator programs the
equipment to obtain the best sound with as few side effects as possible.
 There are always trade offs when processing sound.

I find that the key to good restoration is to continually compare the
non-processed signal with the processed signal to make sure I haven't
overprocessed.  I try to concentrated on the sound portion of the signal and
not the noise portion.  Concentrating on the noise portion invariably leads
to an over-processed recording.  Something else to keep in mind is that
there is always a psychoacoustic problem when removing high energy, high
frequency signals.  A common initial reaction to the removal of that noise
is that one is left with an impression that the music has lost some of its
high frequency content but in actual fact, it really hasn't.  Overprocessing
leaves the sound lifeless and is especially objectionable on voice.  The
sound is muffled, as if somewhat had put a pillow on the singer.  I find
myself gasping for air when I listen to something overprocessed.

There is a point I would like to make:  archiving (preservation) and
restoring are completely separate issues.
"Preservation involves controlling the environment and conditions of use,
and may include treatment in order to maintain a cultural property, as
nearly as possible, in an unchanging state."  Unfortunately, sound
recordings to do not remain in an unchanging state and need to be copied to
preserved the information found on them.  At the NLC, all audio documents
needing copying is done onto reel-to-reel tape and CDr.  Absolutely no noise
reduction is done on the documents, everything is copied warts and all.
 What might might be noise to one person might be information to someone
else and what we think is the latest in technology will invariably be
supplanted by something newer and better, and of course, removed information
cannot be replace.

For those interested, the tape decks used in preservation work are all
Studers and the the Ato D converter is the an Apogee AD-1000 sampling at 20
bits and dithered to 16 using their UV16 and burned using a Studer D741.

Gilles St-Laurent
Music Division
National Library of Canada