re: the restoration question....

On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, T.R. Thiessen wrote:

> While there seems to be much discussion about remastering, recording,
> etc....
> Can anyone recommend a good book or periodical about these topics that
> can do them some justice?  Needless to say, it would have to be a
> publication within the last five years?
> Any ideas?

I really don't know of any books on this subject, except a *really* old
one from the 70s by Larry Boden on vinyl LP mastering.

The best sources would probably be trade journals like MIX, EQ and the
Journal of the Audio Engineering Society (AES).  STEREOPHILE would
probably also have some good features on remastering, restoration, etc.  I
remember reading an article there about the various KIND OF BLUE reissues.

For those who have some engineering knowledge, literature from SONIC or
SADIE might be useful.

Hope this helps.

jh