Re: GG: CBC Recordings -- the best possible?

Hello John,

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply to my message. I hope it
interested the rest of the list as much as it did me.

I understand your Tabasco analogy but I had thought that, with today's
computing power, it would be possible to go further than removing obvious
clicks and the like. I imagined that a really clever algorithm could
perform a comprehensive Fourier analysis, or similar, and with human help
separate the purely-GG noises (ie, piano strings and mechanism, humming,
fingers striking keyboard, chair creaking, etc) from non-GG noises (eg,
tape-drive mechanism hissing and whirring, doors closing, technicians
coughing, subway rumbling). Clearly I was wrong, but do you think that it
will ever be possible to electronically separate the many strands of
individual sound apparent to the human ear so that they can be recombined
in whatever combination suits the listener? Or is the Tabasco-removal
problem insurmountable?

Tim
<timcon@comswest.net.au>
Broome, Western Australia