Re: GG: fillum

Mary Jo wrote:

>I can't resist this thread.  Three years of f_minor and this has never
>come up!
>
>As I recall Kazdin wasn't the only one who was critical of GG for saying
>"fillum" instead of "film" like GG was a backwoods ignoramus putting on...

Fillum is a common pronunciation in parts of Ireland (as Kristen
implied), even today, although I think it may be being driven out by the
regular English and American pronunciations and by alternative words such
as 'movie'. My grandmother, from Cork, used it always. At the school I
went to, some of the Irish priests and brothers from the more remote
parts of Ireland pronounced other 'difficult' combinations of consonants
in a similar lengthened manner by inserting a non-existent vowel, but I'm
blowed if I can remember any of them now. Any Irish f-miner care to
comment?

People who said fillum in England were often regarded as bogmen, so
perhaps Kazdin had a point :-).  Or perhaps GG did it to annoy.

Tim
<timcon@comswest.net.au>
Broome, Western Australia