GG: CBC Recordings -- the best possible?

Hello Miners,

Thanks to the people who told us in the last few weeks about the early GG
CBC recordings I was able to buy 4 CDs of GG radio recordings dating from
the 1950s. For that, many thanks. The CD shop in Broome is limited.

Although the CBC GG recordings have been enhanced, mainly using the CEDAR
and NoNOISE processes (some appear to have been NoNOISE only), and
although the original recordings were obviously not too good (to be
kind), the resulting issue on the CDs still has -- to my mind (and ears)
-- a number of deficiencies.

The two most annoying traits are (1) the existence of extraneous noise
and (2) wobble or wow or flutter or, at any rate, an inconsistent
note/tone where clearly a steady note/tone was called for and played --
unless someone knows how to produce custom-vibrato on a piano string from
the keyboard.

Before I go any further perhaps I should make it clear that I am not
complaining, simply seeking clarification.

I know that there are a number of expert sound-recordists (I hope that's
the right term) in the list. I should be very grateful if they could
answer the following queries I have:

(1) What exactly do CEDAR and NoNOISE do?
(2) Why are they not perfect?
(3) Are there better processes for restoring original sounds?
(4) What are the main problems facing someone trying to restore a sound?
(5) What are the extraneous noises (I'm assuming one or more of the
experts also has one or more of the CBC CDs)?
(6) Why cannot the extraneous noises be removed? I would have thought
that today's computer hardware and software would be able to meet the
challenge.
(7) Why is what I have called, in my ignorance, the wobble/wow/flutter
still there?
(8) Finally, is the answer to all my naive questions simply that if you
restore too much you end up with something that sounds if not like ELO at
their funkiest at least something alien to the GG sound?

Best regards to all (and to Stuart O'Grady and his maillot jaune),

Tim
<timcon@comswest.net.au>
Broome, Western Australia