Re: GG: Imagining Glenn Gould

 Hi all.

Must agree with Kristen - the essay was moving because it showed (gasp) a
human being, a simple human being. Loved it. And I know some people have
probably gotten up in arms about it because `that's not what happened!',
but heck, we all have imaginations, and who's to say, right? Anyway, it
was beautiful, and I too wish I could have heard it spoken with all the
musical cues.

I finally broke down and picked up the Ostwald. I'm halfway through it and
really enjoying it more than I thought I would. It's written in a very
accessible style, and while I'd love to sink my teeth into whoever decided
to put all the notes at the back so I'm continually flipping around and
losing the flow of things, I still think that so far it's a work that
offers a slightly different view of what other biographers have done
before. This one's much more personal, somehow, and though the medical
stuff slips in every once in a while, it's only once in a while (so far,
anyway), and I don't find it all that intrustive. I mean, hey, he was a
doctor of psychiatry, right? Try to divorce that from your life and be
completely objective, I dare you! Overall, I find it warmer than any of
the others. (Mind, I'll have to go back and reread bits of the Friederich
now to make sure that's true!)

And arrgh, yes, Bradley, the Reader is remarkably amiss in its referencing
and index! VERY frustrating for a thesis writer... my only suggestion in
to flag neat passages with Post-It notes and scribble a one word
identifier on them. Annoying to have to do work the editor should have
done, but we're lucky to have the reader at all.

Anyone called for a copy of Conversations with Glenn Gould? How is it?

Arin Murphy
Student, Savoyard,
Bookseller, Cellist-By-Night

"It really isn't difficult if you give your whole mind to it."
				-Lady Angela, Act 1
				   Gilbert & Sullivan's `Patience'