RE: GG: Beethoven/Liszt SIXTH Symphony

Gould also goes out of his way (in the liner notes of his recording) to criticize Liszt's use of double octaves in his transcription of Beethoven's Sixth symphony.  He notes correctly that doubling notes on the piano does not capture the texture of, say, a violin and a cello playing the same note at an octave interval.  I don't have the quote here in front of me, but I think he says something funny about double octaves sounding like the "worst excesses" of somebody's "aunt" banging away at the family piano.

The irony of this is that despite the shortcomings of Liszt's transcription of the sixth symphony, Gould gives - in my opinion - one of his most astonishing and beautiful performances; my personal favorite of all his non-Bach recordings.  We all know how Gould tended to treat material he didn't like (Mozart, anyone?), but here, in a live recording, he gives a nuanced performance that entirely transcends the limitations of Liszt's score.

Does anyone else have an opinion about this recording?

-Tim Solomon