Re: Glenn Gould: The Ecstasy and Tragedy of Genius

At 12:13 AM -0700 7/13/97, Charlie Siffermann wrote:
>Dear Minors,
>
>I heard about a GG book this morning on NPR, called "GG the Ecstasy and
>Tragedy of Genius".  I may have missed discussion of it here, but can
>anyone tell me if it is worth owning, reading, etc.

Yoikes!! Charlie my man, have you been on MIR or something?
Where you been that you ain't heard tell of Ostwald's book?

I'm just joking with you, it is indeed a very good book, and I recommend it
highly. It provides a very warm remembrance of Gould, and at times a very
professional and analytical one as well. Lise Ostwald, the author's widow,
gave a stunning launch to the book in San Francisco at this year's Glenn
Gould Symposium. (I will assume that you know the background on the author
and his relationship to GG so I won't go into it here.) Despite early
skepticism from myself and Alun, the book is very well done and not too
tabloidy (is that a word? :-). I think you would like it.

Best regards,
Kristen

Perfectionist:  "Okay, high fast ball. Lenny Bernstein."
Performer:      "Bernstein? Why Bernstein?"
Perfectionist:  "Lenny is a pacifist who'd never run for office. I saw him
run for a cab once. Not pretty."

                                  -- "Glenn," David Young