GG: The Latecomers

Hello all,

In a couple of Gould books (including the Ostwald book, which I bought
yesterday), there is mention of a character in "The Latecomers" who, while
saying very interesting things, had the annoying habit of inserting "um"
and "uh" between just about every word. Gould claims to have made about
1600 splices in order to make this person's speech flow better. Can anyone
tell me which person this is? Listening to the documentary, there are at
least two people who occasionally speak in a very mechanical voice, which
almost makes them sound spliced up, but I'd still like to know who it is
Gould was talking about.

In "The Quiet in the Land", there is one point where one man says "there
are those who preach about breaking up the ghettos....", and I swear
that there's some kind of splice or glitch or *something* between "the" and
"ghettos".

Anyone know any more about this?

Jeremy