Re: Q about 32 Short Films

>    While we're on the subject of 32SF@GG, I would was reading over the
> critique of the film written by Kevin Bazzana in GlenGould v2,#1, and I was
> wondering: As Gould fans, do you think 32SF sold Glenn short?

This is a great question.  I have to admit that November 1995, when we
knew the video was being released, it became an obsession to obtain
the video.

My mother and I were exstatic when the video finally arrived, and
watched it several times afterward.

The obsession grew more intense.  In December that year when PBS
showed the film with the extra 20 minute excerpt (the CBC 1970
recording of the first movement of the "Emperor."  We became
hysterical searching for any and all video tapes.

Over a year later, we now own all of the video collection including
"Portrait" and the "On and Off the record" series.  And we have
purchased nearly all of the CDs (we are still avoiding Schoenberg.)
We have given away the copies of the Emperor snatched from PBS since
we have the entire concerto now from the collection.

We pulled out 32films last month, kind of an anniversary treat.  The
glitches are annoying, and my mother and I argue over whether Froeme
really captures the essence of Gould.  We wished some things were
different (like emphasizing GGs erratic driving as he pulls into the
truck stop) and others omitted (I always ff Yehudi's interview; he's
so pompous and mean-spirited about Gould, in a nice way of course.)

Over all the film did for us as Bazzana said it does.  Still it is
another unique glimpse, and the quality of the film and the technique
is superior.  But when we want to show our friends who is Glenn Gould,
we show them "A Portrait" first and then supplement it with 32films.

Lori Lalonde