Re: GG and Schubert

I'm trying to imagine singing with GG as my accompaniment... no, it's
just not working. I'd go nuts. Nice idea, though!

As for Gould not recording any Schubert, there's a decent explanation in
_The Music Itself: Glenn Gould's Contrapuntal Vision_, an article by
Edward W. Said, where Said says this:

	[Gould] has written of his preference not only for polyphony in
general, but also for the composer, like Richard Strauss, `who makes
richer his own time by not being of it; who speaks for all generations by
being of none'. Gould's dislike of middle-period Beethoven, Mozart, and
most of the nineteenth-century romantics whose music was intensely
subjective or fashionable and too instrument-specific, is balanced by his
admiration for pre- and post-romantics like Orlando Gibbons and Anton
Webern, as well as for polyphonists (Bach and Strauss) whose
all-or-nothing attitude to the instruments theyw rote for made for a
total discipline lacking in other composers.

In his own essay called `N'aimez-vous pas Brahms?' Gould called the
concerto a `vastly overindulged form' (he was talking about nineteenth
century composers at the time), and called Grieg and Liszt `second-rate
composers'. As a matter of fact, the nineteenth century Romantics are
very noticeably missing from his recording history. (Liszt? Liszt who?
And Chopin? You'd think he'd never heard of him.) Gould recorded what he
liked and what he believed in. I personally consider it a monumental loss
that he didn't record and Schubert; I'm very fond of him. (Second only to
Bach!)  But I'd rather know that Gould wouldn't play something he didn't
believe in, than bend to popularity and record Schubert for the masses.
It's all part of who he was.

And a happy 200th to Schubert!

 Arin Murphy
Concordia University, Montreal

The absolute requirements of literary labour not unfrequently compel an
irregular distribution of time, and with it irregular social and moral
habits. (J.W. Kaye)