Re: Goldberg opinion

    Let me quote Jens Hagestedt in his book "Wie spielt
    Glenn Gould". On page 12 he writes (freely translated): "Unworthy is also
    the meditative, restrained profunditiy, that Gould achieves in the last
    unfinnished contrapunctus of the "The Art of fugue"...".

Unworthy?  I don't understand.

Personally, like you, I find those Art of Fugue pieces (1, 2, 4, 15) in
the Monsaingeon videos to be extraordinary ...  I've listened to many
piano recordings of A.of.F. and I profoundly regret that Gould never
recorded the complete work on piano; for me, no one else has come close
to what he achieved in those excerpts ...

(My favorites of the ones I've heard are Charles Rosen and Joanna
Macgregor, FWIW.)

kb@cs.umb.edu