Re: GG: 318 & Piano Sounds

kb@cs.umb.edu wrote:

>     "I find it ironic that CD 318 is now enshrined in a plexiglass
>     sarcophegous.
>
> BTW, I believe CD 318 is now at the National Library of Canada in
> Ottawa, and is still occasionally used for concerts there.  I don't know
> when the next one is, and unfortunately they don't advertise it too
> heavily :-(.

Yes, that's where it is.  But I had heard it is only played by
carefully chosen pianists not necessarily for concerts, but for a
spectacle performance.  However, I did get confused.  (Should not
respond to these things past my bed time!) The chair GG used is
enshrined, and I think more appropriately honored.

It seems to me that the chair symbolized his career as a pianist.  I
find it intriguing to watch the condition of the upholstry on the seat
throughout the videos.  It seems that as the decoration of the chair
disintigrated, GGs playing become more "bare" as well.  I also can't
imagine all the playing he did particularly while watching the Goldber
Variations tape being aware that he is seated on a single piece of
wood.  I wonder, has anyone studied the construction of that chair?

Lori