Database details

Hello all,

Because so many of you are collectors of GG's recordings, and some are
serious collectors of many other types of music, I have a question for
you.

I'm developing a 4D database for serious music collectors of CDs, LPs,
tapes, 78s, cylinders, etc but am not sure what data is/are
desirable/essential. For example, just how much detail would a collector
want to record about a CD's recording methods and place? Obviously some
details are essential (eg, composer's name, conductor/performer ditto,
record company label), but would the collector also want to keep track of
engineers' names, dates of birth, etc, or is that too much detail?

On today's machines RAM and disk space are no longer a problem, but the
more detail one allows for the larger the program becomes (and the data
file increases in size too). However, keen collectors probably wouldn't
grumble about a program size of 5MB and a data file that expanded by 1MB
for (say) every 50 items added...or would they?

I guess what I'm saying is: If any of you GG fans had the chance to
specify the perfect music database for your own needs and desires, what
would you ask for? I'll respond individually to all replies unless there
are too many in which case I'll post a general response on f-minor.

FYI, 4D is 4th Dimension, a full-strength multi-platform
(Mac/Win3.1/Win95/WinNT) relational database made by ACI (France) and
ACIUS (CA).

My current plans are: The database will initially be single-user but can
become multi-user if there is a market for it. There will be two
versions: a standalone version, and a version for those already owning
4D. I probably won't be able to complete the program before the back end
of 1997 as I'm doing a grad dip (in computing -- what else?). I'd be very
grateful to f-minor members who agreed to beta-test the program, and
naturally all helpers will be rewarded with a free copy of the final
product.

Finally, the work-in-progress name of the database program is Opus One
but I'd be happy with a snappier name that made some reference, no matter
how oblique, to GG. Any ideas?

Many TIA.

Tim

--------------------------------
Tim Conway
Conway Consulting Pty Ltd
301 Glenfern Road (P O Box 1042)
Upwey, VIC 3158, Australia
Tel: +61.3.9754.8544
Fax: +61.3.9752.5309
email: <tpconway@ozemail.com.au>
Have you seen BYTE's Nov96 edition? Test results on p44 show that top
Macs and Mac clones are quite a bit faster than PC clones running on
200-MHz Pentiums and Pentium Pros. Who says Macs are too slow?