GG: Re: Mapping the heart of a fugue...

Alun:

Curious comparison between GG and Giacometti. (Giacometti was, is, one of
my favorites.) I used to walk home from college with stacks of Giacometti
monographs in my arms. Could barely walk, I carried so many. I appreciate
his crystalline, X-ray-like vision of the world -- but without the
overprecision of, say, a ruled architectural drawing.

Pollock is another exciting comparison -- a certain control beneath the
supposed chaos. That is what is so wonderful and addicting about GG's
recordings -- the furious mixture of the Apollonian and Dionysian
tendencies.

But, as Gombrich points out, all of our comparisons are relative to our
expectations and knowledge of the possibilities in both music and visual
art.

--JP