RE: GG: Homer Siberius

On Sun, 22 Dec 1996, Junichi Miyazawa wrote:

> Thank you Klmmoor.
> I did not know that "Homer" is a working-class name.

Actually, I associate the name more with a simple-minded
(as opposed to merely working-class) personality -- cf.
Homer Simpson.

> Does it remind you, native speakers of English,
> of the great Greek writer of *Illyad* and *Odyssey*?

Though I enjoy both of those epic poems, when I
hear the name "Homer" that is not my first association.

And from an earlier thread:

> As for the newsgroup, it's a really shame.

> snet is
> getting out of hand - some of the participants are resorting to outri
> ght name
> calling. Anyone with a sane perspective and a clear head for logical
> debate
> might want to air their opinions, the Gould supporters are taking a b
> eating
> from the one-man army from Rutgers. Last time I checked, he had poste
> d that
> anyone who had ever bought a Gould recording was a victim of one of t
> he
> greatest charlatans in classical music. On a lighter note, before I s
> tarted
> eavesdropping on the fracas, I'd never heard a GG recording called
> "vomit-inducing" before!

I'd be happy to debate the one-man army from Rutgers if someone
wants to post my responses to rec.music.classical

Rob Haskins
Eastman School of Music