RE: GG/Shine

At 20:58 13/12/96 -0500, you wrote:
Hi,
>   Hmmm. To me, talking about a film that celebrates the career and the life
>of a renowned pianist who was devastated by the rigors of touring and who was
>a hero in his own country (especially when the director of the film is from
>the country in question) without at least mentioning 32SF@GG is just bizarre.
>I mean, that movie is only 2 years old, surely it can't have been forgotten
>already? I see more similarities between Shine and 32SF@GG than between Shine
>and The Piano or Immortal Beloved; both of the latter films were tremendous
>releases that featured well-known actors, subjects, and cross-promotions.

I would like to argue a couple of points that are raised in this article
from Billboard. David Helfgott (excuse the spelling please, I am not at home
to check  his spelling) was never really a "hero in his country".  Most
Australians had no idea who he was until the film came out.  His training
took place at home in Parth, but mostly in London and Germany ( I think) and
he did very little playing here on the east coast.  I do not think the film
is about the rigours of touring, rather the obsession of a parent and his
son.  I agree that there is very little in common with The Piano or
immortal, but I also see no connection (other than it is "about" "classical
music") with 32 short films.
The Rachmaninov recording is not doing too well here (Toni Childs and Wacko
Jacko are), however, Helfgott did play at the Australian Music awards, which
must have shocked some people.
Bruce Petherick                          |
24 Hour emergency Musicologist           |

Ask about our new emergency conducting,  |
Piano and accompanying service!          |

b.petherick@pgrad.unimelb.edu.au         |