RE:"What kind of key"

Jeff and f-minor listers,

Re the keys-and-colour subject.

Please forgive me in advance for being vague in what follows.

In a fairly recent issue of, I think, New Scientist there was an article
about 'cross-senses', although that wasn't the term used. What the exact
term was I cannot recall except that it was Latin-sounding and may have
had 'trans-' in it.

Anyway, it seems to be scientifically accepted that some people have the
ability to perceive one sense with another. For example, some people
'see' sounds, others 'hear' colours, and even taste and smell give rise
to other sensations, although not as strongly. In a related way, Vladimir
Nabokov claimed to associate colours very strongly with certain words: he
always knew when he had written a 'beautiful' sentence. I believe that VN
admitted that his colour-word association was so natural and so strong
that it influenced his style of writing. His son has/had the same ability
(if memory serves).

If all that is so, it may be possible that some people do really
associate keys with actual colours. That is not to say that such people
do so by whim or fancy -- they do so by force: whenever they hear a key
they experience the colour as strongly as if they were seeing it, and
they have no choice in the matter. The NS article, as I remember, quoted
a researcher who said that a list of colours that a certain woman
associated with certain notes (sounds) changed hardly at all over a long
period of many years. The intervals between testing her were sometimes so
large that it was most unlikely that she could have remembered her
previous answers to the question: 'What colour does this note bring to
mind?'.

Before I read the NS article I read somewhere else that a number of
composers claimed to have this gift/infliction. Please don't ask me who
they were or where I read it. I cannot remember. I also think that people
with so-called perfect pitch may also have been said to have had it. If
that is so, GG is the perfect candidate for associating colours (and who
knows what else?) with certain sounds/keys/notes. He was said, I believe,
to have had perfect pitch, and he also composed. Besides, his absolute
assertions about the way a piece should be played may also be an
indication that it was not just his ears and sense of rhythm/timing that
dictated to him how to play it -- sorry, that's not exactly what I mean
to say but I haven't the time to think it out clearly.

The upshot is: more than a few people may really associate colours with
keys.

And on a slightly different tack, is there such a thing as perfect pitch?

I seem to remember hearing the respected English
musicologist/singer/author/broadcaster John Amis once say on the radio
that he didn't believe that anyone had perfect pitch. He admitted to
having relative pitch but he felt it didn't last long, a few days at the
most (I hope I'm not misquoting JA here: the broadcast was several years
ago). That is, if he heard the oboe play A-natural (or whatever) at a
concert tune-up, he could recall that note perhaps 2 or 3 days later; but
if he was shipwrecked on a desert island for a year or so he wasn't sure
he would be able to reproduce that note except by luck. He didn't know of
any musician who could hear a note and say 'That's about an eighth lower
than B-flat', or who could reproduce by voice (say), and with ease, any
note requested (unless, of course, they were played a 'base' note first
and allowed to remember it, then progress to other notes relatively).

Any thoughts, anyone?

Tim Conway
<tpconway@ozemail.com.au>