RE: GG: "Canadian content"

Dear Melissa -

Thank you very much for a very plain explanation.

Your wrote:
>I would say that "Canadian content" refers to
>a certain number of pieces by Canadian composers
>to be included in any concert program.  I
>am sure this is something like an "unwritten rule,"
>not to be taken too seriously, but there all the same

--Now I understand well what "Canadian content" is like.

>I would say that the letter, while not exactly sarcastic,
>pokes fun at the idea of "Canadian content."
>I do not think this is malicious humor;
>all the Canadians I have ever known are good-natured
>about their patriotism.

--So, it is a good-natured humor.

Being a Japanese translator of his Selected Letters,
I sometimes wonder if GG is talking about something
seriously, sarcastically, or just with a good sense of humor.

Best wishes,

Junichi Miyazawa (lecturer, Waseda University, Tokyo)