GG: "Canadian content"

A question on the GG letter to John Roberts
on January 28, 1973 (English version: p.196).

Quote:
[disguising himself as an Andorran harpshichord player
who suggests to make a concert tour in Canada]

Finally . . . I am given to understanding that,
in this country, you observe a rather quaint custom known
as "Canadian content."  I should like you to know, therefore,
     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
that, in view of this regional peculiarity, I am prepared to
forgo my own repetoire predilections and,
where necessary, to amplify my instrument accordingly.
Indeed, out of respect for local sensibilities I have,
in fact, prepared a program which opens with my own
harpsichord transcription of Oskar Morawets' First Symphony,
continues with a similar transcritpion of Healey Willan's
Second Symphony and, as a gran finale, utilizing the full
range of electronic capabilities at my command,
concludes with a superimposition of the two compositions
which, if I may modestly say so, includes many unique
harmonic effects.

Let me know, do the Canadian people often use the
expression "Canadian content"?
Is it a matured expression?
Does this expression make the context of the letter
sarcastic?

Junichi / junichi_miyazawa@msn.com