Real Collector's Items to Get Rid of (16KB)

To the Glenn Gould fans: there are a few Gould records below, but I call
particular attention to Hermann Scherchen. He is as distinctive and
individualistic as any artist *except* Gould and should therefore have
great appeal to Gould lovers.

I am decollecting a great many LP records and books to make room
in my apartment and have already packed many to send to my high
school (Fountain Valley School in Colorado Springs). But I have a
number of collector's items that I'm offering to sell for HALF the
prices below, which I mostly gathered from the _Canfield Guide to
Classical Recordings_. I know a dealer (Irvington Music) that will
pay me 60% of the sales price for discs I leave on consignment,
but I have to pay the postage to ship them to the dealer.

YOU pay the postage; I'll find a box. The book rate does not apply
internationally, and runs:

Canada: $6.95 for the first pound (453 g) and $1.12 for each
additional pound
Mexico and Central America: $7.50 + 1.44
Other Countries: $9 + 1.92
Maximum weight of 44 pounds. These are surface rates; air rates
are ridiculously expensive. If you take some books, there is an
international book rate, which is much cheaper.

The record and book rate domestically is $1.24 first pound, 50
cents each for the next six pounds, and 31 cents per pound
thereafter to the limit of 70 pounds.

I once aimed at getting each Westminster issue and all reissues of
the recordings of the great conductor Hermann Scherchen and
prepared an extensive cross-index, which I will send to anyone who
wants it. But I've decided to forgo this. And there are several
other records that can be valuable to collectors that I almost
certainly won't listen to again and have on tape if I do.

Many of the books will be quite helpful to those still in the
early stages of collecting. I'm to the point where I have my own
firm opinions about the merits of particular recordings and need
only comprehensive discographies. These are the first two books,
which I consult rather frequently and of which I have duplicates.
I use them to help resolve conflicts in other discographies. *NO*
discography is error free, not even those I've made myself.

I'll wait until all the requests are in and decide who gets what.
If you want something very badly, let me know. Don't send any
money. I'll send you the records and let you decide whether the
condition (usually good or better) merits your paying me for them.
Make an offer and I'll accept or not. Don't send any records back
to me, as I may redirect them elsewhere. And add in the postage
which you'll see on the package.

Remember: The records go for HALF the prices below. I'm asking for
the FULL price for the books, since the estimates are more or less
my own, based on the usefulness of the books and how hard they are
to find in used book shops. The zero price means the discs are in
rather bad condition but still playable. All you have to pay is
the postage.

FrankFRANK FORMAN'S DISPOSAL LIST--1996 OCTOBER
HERMANN SCHERCHEN ON WESTMINSTER
First Series
0        WL      5066    Haydn: 55, 104
0        WL      5117    Brahms: Double Concerto (Fournier,
Janigro)
0        WL      5318    Bach: Violin Concerti (2) (Barchet)
Second series (singles)
8        XWN     18268   Brahms: Double Concerto (Fournier,
Janigro)
9        XWN     18272   Beethoven: The Four Fidelio Overtures
8        XWN     18277   Bartok: PC 2,3 (Farnadi)
11       XWN     18283   Tch: 1812, M. Slav, R&J (all 1st rec.,
LSO)
15       XWN     18289   Berlioz: Harold in Italy (Riddle)
0        XWN     18309   Beethoven 1 & 4
6        XWN     18322   Haydn 93-4
15       XWN     18322   Haydn 93-4 (perfect cond.)
15       XWN     18323   Haydn 95-6 (perfect cond.)
15       XWN     18324   Haydn 97-8 (perfect cond.)
15       XWN     18325   Haydn 99-100 (perfect cond.)
15       XWN     18326   Haydn 101-2 (perfect cond.)
15       XWN     18327   Haydn 103-4 (perfect cond.)
12       XWN     18375   Bach: Musical Offering (1st rec. VSO)
6        XWN     18391   Bach: Can. 32 [+Haas cond. Can. 152]
6        XWN     18391   Bach: Can. 32 [+Haas cond. Can. 152]
different cover
6        XWN     18393   Bach: Cantatas 76, 84
6        XWN     18393   Bach: Cantatas 76, 84
10       XWN     18394   Bach: Cantatas 106, 140
10       XWN     18452   Tch: PC 1 (Farnadi) [+Herbert Wms cond.
Nut. Suite]
13       XWN     18522   Tchaikovsky 4 (perfect condition)
9        XWN     18579   Beethoven 5; Haydn 100 (1st rec.)
9        XWN     18613   Haydn 44,49
10       XWN     18616   Haydn 88,92
10       XWN     18730   Liszt, S-S, Weber        Exists in stereo
6        XWN     18732   Ovs. by Ros, Auber, Herold, Rezn, Ros
Exists in stereo
6        XWN     18783   Dukas, Chabrier, Ravel, Falla     Exists
in stereo
14       XWN     18800   Beethoven 3 (2nd rec., VSOO)      Exists
in stereo
8        XWN     18913   Vivaldi: Four Seasons (Olevsky)   Exists
in stereo
6        XWN     18932   Bach: BBC 1,2    Exists in stereo
12       XWN     18934   Bahc; BBC 5,6    Exists in stereo
12       XWN     19086   Berg: Concertino; Schoenberg: Chamber
Sym.     Exists in stereo
10       XWN     19088   Schumann: Manfred        Exists in stereo
10       XWN     19089   Bach: Musical Offering (2nd rec.)
Exists in stereo
Second Series (sets)
35       WN      2201(2) Bach Suites      English Baroque Orch.
(1st ver)
10       XWN     2212(2) Gliere Sym. 3, Red Poppy
23       XWN     2220(2) Mahler 5, 10:1
8        XWN     2227(2) Berlioz: Requiem         Exists in stereo
30       XWN     2237(2) Bach: Art of the Fugue   Exists in stereo
30       XWN     3305(3) Bach: Mass (VSOO, 2nd ver.)       Long
album; exists in stereo
13       XWL     3306(3) Handel: Messiah (VSOO, 2nd version)
Long album; exists in stereo
25       XWN     4402(4) Bach: St. Matthew Passion
Second Series, continued into stereo
23       WST     306     Handel: Messiah (VSOO, 2nd version)
Three-disc version
15       WST     306     Handel: Messiah (VSOO, 2nd version)
Three-disc version, ABC-Westminster
First reissues (Music Guild, all stereo)
8        MS      188     Bach: BBC 1,2
6        MS      801     Music for Multiple Orchestras
15       MS      839     Schumann: Manfred
9        MS      6201(2) Music Guild      Berlioz Requiem
19       MS      6301(3) Music Guild      Bach: Mass (2nd ver.,
VSOO)
30       MS      6303(3) Music Guild      Bach: BBCs
Second reissues (Collector's Series)
8        W       9704    Handel CG, Op. 6, second disc
6        W       9712    Brahms: Double Concerto (Fournier,
Janigro)
8        W       9725    Prok.: Lt. Kije & Scythian
0        W       29375(2)         Mahler 7
20       W       29734(2)         Mahler 5, 10:1
Third reissues (Triples)
15       WM      1002    Haydn 93-98
15       WMS     1002    Haydn 93-98      Electronic Stereo
20       WM      1007    Scherchen Conducts the Russians   Exists
in stereo
8        WMS     1018    Beeethoven PC 1,3,5 (Badura-Skoda)
Only Con. 3 in genuine stereo
15       WMS     1032    The Piano Con. Only Sch is Rach1
(Farnadi, elec st) +L1,Tch 1,Chop 1,Gr by others
HERMANN SCHERCHEN OFF WESTMINSTER
10       MCA2    9500    ABC-Westminster (Canada) Bach: BBCs
2 discs!
4        CL      7       Classaphonic     Dukas, Chabrier, Ravel,
Falla    Exists in stereo
0        LLP-A   2(3)    London   Bach: Art of the Fugue; Radio
Orch. of Beromunster     Long album
5        SQN     7748    Sine Qua Non     Rossini, Reznicek,
Herold, Auber    SOME stereo!
OTHER PERFORMERS ("$" after the catalog number means stereophonic)
AUDIOPHILE
102      Capitol SPAR    8470$    STOKOWSKI       Orff: Carmina
Burana   audio
27       London  CS      6021FFSS         BACKHAUS         Brahms
Piano Recital    audio
15       London  CS      6060FFFS         BACKHAUS         Piano
Music of Haydn   audio
19       London  CS      6141FFSS         BACKHAUS         Mozart
PC 27, PS 11     audio
CHAMBER
60       Vox     VBX     12(3)    BARCHET Q.      Mozart SQ 1-
10       chamber
9        Perennial                2003    FLONZALEY Q.
Beethoven: SQ 2, 16      chamber
14       Concert Hall Soc.        CHS     1086(10")        GUILET Q
Hindemith SQ 4   chamber
CONDUCTORS
10       Capitol L       8135     ANDRE   Dukas S'sA; Gretry:
Cephale et Pocris        cond
15       EMI     HLM     7014     HOLST   Holst: Planets (1926
rec.)    cond
10       Columbia        A        1516(7")        STOKOWSKI
White Peacock & Billy, the Kid    cond
16       Victor  LM      9(10")   STOKOWSKI       Debussy:
Children's Corner Suite  cond
HARPSICHORD
8        Angel   GR      2200     LANDOWSKA       Bach Con 1;
Handel: Con. in Bb; H.B.Smith Var.        hd
10       HMV     COLH    304      LANDOWSKA       Scarlattti, Vol.
2        hd
10       HMV     COLH    73       LANDOWSKA       Scarlattti, Vol.
1        hd
PIANO
60       London(Jap)     K18C     8209/10(2)$     BACKHAUS
Last Concerts 69.6.26&28 Only issue
30       London(Jap)     N        125$    BACKHAUS
Schumann: Waldscenen; Schubert: Moments Musicaux  Only stereo
issue of the Schubert
20       MGM     E       526(10")         COPELAND         Debussy
pieces   pf
18       MGM     E       87(10")  COPELAND        Spanish Piano
Music    pf
7        Melodiya        M10      48031   GILELS  Early years
recordings       pf
35       CBS             32110046$        GOULD   Morawetz,Anhalt,
Hetu (rare in stereo)    pf
25       CBS/Sony(Japan) 25AC     2013$ GOULD     Schoenberg: PC,
Fantasy, Ode to N.B.     pf
15       Turnabout       TV       34792   GOULD   Berg. Shos,
Tanayev, Prok. (1953 rec.)        pf
15       Turnabout       TV       34793   GOULD   Mozart 4 hand
music (Guerrero, home rec.)       pf
25       Radio Canada Int.        RCI     614     GOULD    Bach:
Partita 5; Brahms PQn    pf
43       Columbia        ML       4256    KELENYI Dohnanyi: Suite
(w. Doh) & Waltz Settings         pf
12       Melodiya        D        21091(10")      KEMPFF
Beethoven PS 10 etc. (from 78s)   pf
12       Electrola                80841   LANDOWSKA        Haydn
Con. in D; Mozart PC 26  pf
10       IPA             102      LOESSER Sic transit gloria mundi
pf
15       EMI     HLM     7179     LYMPANY Mend PC 1 etc    pf
20       Heliodor                 2548723 NEY     Beethoven PS
8,14,21  pf
32       Heliodor                 88010   NEY     Brahms PC 2 (Max
Fiedler)         pf
20       EMI     HQM     1112     PETRI   Recital disc     pf
10       Columbia        RL        3018   PETRI   Tchaikovski: PC
1        pf
30       IPA             120/1(2)         RENARD  Rosita Renard at
Carnegie Hall    pf
19       HMV     XLP     30053    SOLOMON Haydn 35, Moz 11,
Schubert 664     pf
30       EMI     C147    50183/4(2)       SOLOMON Mozart: PC
15,23,24, PS 11  pf
25       Veritas VM      115      VARIOUS Chopin Interpreters, The
Great    pf
23       RCA     CRL2    5100$(2)         WOODWARD
Shostakovich: 24 P&Fs    pf
SPOKEN
25       Veritas VM      104      LANDOWSKA       Recital and
Spoken   spoken
15       Columbia        ML       2063    RATHBONE, Basil  Robin
Hood     spoken
12       Columbia        WM       2       WALTER  Walter rehearses
Beethoven 5      spoken
19       Columbia        WZ       3$      WALTER  Walter rehearses
Beethoven 4 & 9  spoken
CELLO
23       Remington       R(10")   14953   CASSADO Brahms: CS 1
vc
23       Discocorp       RR       459     FEUERMANN        Bee. Op.
8; Hind. StrTrio 2       vc
27       Victor  LM      5(10")   ELMAN   Mendelssohn VC   vn
133      Victor  LCT     1120     ENESCO  Bach 2VC (Menuhin,
Monteux), VS 3 (Men, Land)        vn
15       Eurodisc                 200076$ KREMER  Paganini VC 1,
Schumann, Kupovic        vn
8        Philips         9500904$         KREMER  Schubert,
Beethoven, Mozart's son. vn
12       Orion   ORS     7271e    MENUHIN Vintage Menuhin  vn
20       Concert Hall Soc.        CM      1       ODNOPOSOFF
Tartini, Gem, Viv, Vit   vn
15       Angel   GR      2051     THIBAUD Bee.: VS 9 (Cortot) w.
Magic Fl. Var (Casals, Cortot)    vn
COMPOSER
20       CBC     T       56999    Gould   GOULD: The Latecomers
comp
20       CBC     T       56997    Gould   GOULD: The Idea of North
comp
30       Past Masters             38      Hollreiser,
R.Krauss,Gillessen       PFITZNER: (3) Syms       comp
10       EMI     HQS     1374$    Ohlsson RACHMANINOV: Pf
Transcriptions   comp
9        Bellaphon       DC       22123   Andreae SCHUBERT-
JOACHIM: Grand Duo       comp
9        Orion   CL      2149     Schultze        SCHUMANN: Rom,
Op 94; WEBER: Concertante, Op. 48         compFRANK FORMAN'S DISPOSAL LIST OF MUSIC BOOKS--1996 OCTOBER

COMPREHENSIVE DISCOGRAPHIES OF ALL CLASSICAL RECORDS
25       1942    Gramophone Shop Encyclopedia of Recorded Music
Large hardback of domestic and imported records sold by the famed
New York City store. Harder to find than the 1936 or 1948
editions.
20       1956    Record Ratings
Even larger hardback that details all U.S. classical LPs issued
through sometime in 1985. Lists all reviews of these recordings
and gives summary evaluations (+,0.-)
20       1976    Schwann Artist Issue
3        1978    Andre Perrault: The Old Stone House
A dealer catalog. Helpful for Hungaraton and other labels not
carried by Schwann for Cold War reasons.
3        1984    Hungaraton catalog, in Hungarian
2        1984/85 Hungaraton catalog supplement, in Hungarian
4        1987    Schwann Compact Disc (Vol. 2, No. 7)
3        1988 Winter     Schwann Catalog (Vol. 40, No. 1)
3        1991 Winter     Opus Catalog (Vol. 2, No. 1)
3        1991/92 Winter  Opus Catalog (Vol. 3, No. 1)
3        1992/93 Winter  Opus Catalog (Vol. 4, No. 1)
3        1993/94 Winter  Opus Catalog (Vol. 5, No. 1)

GUIDES TO RECORDINGS
These books discuss the major works of classical music and
evaluate the best recordings.
15       1940    Hall, David      The Record Book, Enlarged Edition
10       1941    Kolodin, Irving  A Guide to Recorded Music
15       1948    Hall, David      The Record Book, International
Edition
10       1950    Hall, David      Records: 1950 Edition
10       1955    Hall, David and Abner Levin      The Disc Book
10       1955    Kolodin, Irving  The Guide to Long Playing
Records: 1, Orchestral Music
10       1955    Miller, Philip L.        The Guide to Long Playing
Records: 2, Vocal Music
10       1955    Schonberg, Harold C.     Guide to Long Playing
Records: 3, Chamber and Solo Inst. Music

This book gathers all the reviews of that magazine for a year
5        1958    High Fidelity magazine   Records in Review

These English books list the best of available recordings as * or
**.
5        1961    EMG Handmade Gramophones, Ltd. (England)  The Art
of Record Buiying
5        1965    EMG Handmade Gramophones, Ltd. (England)  The Art
of Record Buiying
5        1970    EMG Handmade Gramophones, Ltd. (England)  The Art
of Record Buiying
5        1972    EMG Handmade Gramophones, Ltd. (England)  The Art
of Record Buiying

These books discuss the works in some detail and list some
recommended recordings
5        1980    Hamilton, David  The Listener's Guide to Great
Instrumentalists
5        1980    Headington, Christopher  The Listener's Guide to
Chamber Music
5        1980    Rich, Alan       The Listener's Guide to Opera

FURTWA"NGLER MATERIAL
15       1970    Smidth Olsen, Henning    First edition of his
discography. Lists lots of 78s and lps that John Hunt fails to do.
15       1972    Smidth Olsen, Henning    Konzertprograme Opern und
Vortra"ge, 1947 bis 1954. You need to  know almost no German to
read this listing of all of Furtwa"ngler's post-WW II concert
programs.